Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Roots of Things

Cause and effect is a principle in operation all around us and every day.

With a little effort, one can get to the root of the matter and work at the level of cause.

This can relate to relationships, personal effectiveness, work and business matters, spiritual development and weeding out difficult plants in a garden or area of lawn!!

I meditated on this recently as I was working in my yard.  There is a particular plant which is overcrowding a lovely grassy area.  This plant is very prickly and therefore is not fun to step on while playing barefoot in the yard whether one is human or dog.

The thing is that the roots of these plants grow deep if left too long and they will keep coming back quickly and spread if not removed.  The most effective (eco-friendly) way of dealing with these plants is to pull them out by the root... and to continue to mow them down in the process.

Depending on how fast they have spread and the size of one's lawn, this can seem like a daunting task -and it is for me, as I am speaking of a fairly large area off to the side which has not received much attention over the last few years - other than mowing.  These prickly plants have found a liking to the area and have really spread.

 I have accepted the task of slowly, over time, pulling these plants out by their roots.   If  I am not careful, they also sting and can cause discomfort and irritation to my skin.  (Essential oils can provide relief and healing for this, according to my experience).

The many things we come across in life are no different than this situation.  I contemplate this each time I go out to pull more out.  I contemplate the fact that some of the things we wish to alter in our life have become a bigger issue due to our own neglect.  I also reflect on the fact that transforming certain things sometimes occurs with some pain and discomfort.

Our attitude and approach to the task is something to keep in mind as we set to Work.  How do we go about doing what we have chosen to do in the world(s) we have created?   Are we Working at a vision we have created with heart?  Do we desire some new visioning?

 I also realize that when we unite our self in action to a vision we have, that consistent effort over time will certainly assist us and that we will see progress ... as long as we persist and Work at it in the way that gets at the Root of the Matter.